to read the tips on searching.
to search other
Displaying 1 Record
Motions Road originally consisted of Asylum Road and Cox's Creek Road (According to Davenport, see publication references below).
Origin of Name:
William Motion was a carpenter from Scotland who arrived in Auckland in 1840, after sailing the previous year from Sydney to the Bay of Islands, where he appeared as a witness to the signing of the Treaty of Waitangi. In Auckland Motion entered into partnership with Joseph Low, building a flour mill (see Old Mill Road) on what is now called Motions Creek, formerly called Waiateao.
Motion, William, namesake and former resident. Motion was a carpenter from Scotland who arrived in Auckland in 1840, after sailing the previous year from Sydney to the Bay of Islands (where he appeared as a witness to the signing of the Treaty of Waitangi). In Auckland Motion entered into partnership with Joseph Low, building a flour mill (see Old Mill Road) on what is now called Motions Creek - formerly called Waiateao.
Motion's Mill, which was situated at the seaward end of what is now the Auckland Zoo, was partly supplied by wheat grown on a section of Low and Motion's large property (near the current Meola Road), and partly by wheat grown in Tamaki which was sailed in from the city to be punted up the creek to the mill in high tides. When the mill was busy there was as many as 13 cutters at one time in the mouth of the creek, and William Motion's own financial success was shown by the large two-storied residence his family occupied behind the mill. In 1874 (Bush dates it on the 8th of March, 1975) the then Auckland Provincial Council purchased Low and Motion's property to supply the growing city's desperate water needs. Old Mill Road, which leads into Motions Road from the city side, is also a reference to Low and Motion's Mill.
"The Old Pumphouse" was next to the "Western Spring" - what is now the lake at Western Springs Park - and was to be the near sole supply of water to Auckland until 1900.
The Western Springs Park and Stadium, the Auckland Zoo, and Motat's Sir Keith Park Memorial Airfield, all currently adjoin Motions Road on what was originally Low and Motion's estate. Another part of the property, occupied now by Western Springs College, was originally given by the council in 1874 as an "endowment for the support and maintenance of Lunatic and other Asylums" in Auckland (Auckland Provincial Government Gazette 12 th Oct. 1874, p 205).
Auckland: City of the Seas. Reed, A. W. 1955. p 188-89. (NZ Coll. Reserve, Du 436.12) Decently and in Order: The Centennial History of the Auckland City Council. Bush, G. W. A. 1971. p 130-131. (NZ Coll, Du 436.12) High Hopes in Hard Times: A history of Grey Lynn and Westmere. Hiyama, Kaaren. 1991. p 8-10. (R Room and NZ Coll, DU 436.12) Street names of Auckland, Their Story, Davenport, J. 1990 (AWMM Reading Room DU436.12) Motion's Mill, Illustration (New Zealand Graphic, v. 18, 1897, p. 116). Motion offered 20, 000 pounds for property by City Council (Southern Cross, Feb. 23, 1875). Motion, William. Orbituary (The New Zealand Weekly News, Sept. 30, 1893, p.14).
Motion's Mill: DU 436. 1265 w52. p 1, 12, 14. Old Pumphouse, (W. Springs): DU 436. 1264 w52. p 2, 4.
Personal Names - Private Individuals - Residents / Occupiers
Displaying 1 Record